10 Tips from a Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyer
1. Speak to a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer immediately after a truck accident. The insurance companies do not want to help you after your accident. Insurance companies make money by taking in monthly premiums from customers and paying out as little as possible when accidents and injuries occur. In fact, if the driver that hit your car does not have insurance, you may end up suing or arbitrating against your own insurance company if you are injured in a car accident and you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
2. If you were injured in a truck accident, go see your doctor immediately. If you do not see a doctor immediately after a truck accident, the insurance companies will not believe you were injured.
3. If you were involved in a truck accident, make sure to obtain the information of the other driver(s) involved in the truck accident. Try to obtain the driver’s name, license number, license plate number, and insurance information.
4. If you are involved in a truck accident, try to take photos immediately before attempting to move your truck from its resting position. If you are too injured to take photos, yet still conscious, have someone else take photos of the vehicles after the accident. If you were unable to take photos at the scene of the truck accident, take photos of the damage to the body of your vehicle. TAKE MULTIPLE PHOTOS FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES. If you have any visible injuries, TAKE MULTIPLE PHOTOS OF YOUR BRUISES, SCARS AND INJURIES IMMEDIATELY.
5. Get a police report after a truck accident if you are in a major accident.
6. Find out if anyone witnessed the truck accident if you are familiar with the neighborhood. Was there someone walking a dog on the corner that witnessed the truck accident? If you are not too seriously injured, it is best to obtain this information before the scene clears and the cars are towed or driven away.
7. Do not post photos of yourself or your truck accident on social media.
8. Find your own insurance policy. Your insurance policy may cover the damages to your car, injuries to passengers within your car, and injuries to you if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
9. Do not answer calls from the other driver’s insurance company immediately after a truck accident. The insurance company is likely recording your statements and “anything you say can, and will, be used against you in a court of law.”
10. In California, there is a 2 year statute of limitations on most car accident injury claims that do not result in a death. Cal. Civ. Proc. Section 335.1. However, if you are involved in a truck accident with a government employee or vehicle, you may have to file a government tort claim within 6 months. A statute of limitations is a law that limits the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit. If you do not file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations, you may be forever barred from pursuing your injury claim.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this post and website is not to be construed as legal advice. Each case and client is different and it is best to directly consult a Los Angeles truck accident lawyer or licensed attorney in your region if you are involved in a car accident or any other legal matter.